In today’s world of health and wellness, we often rely on medical doctors, therapists, and other healthcare professionals for advice on everything from aches and pains like sciatica to our overall well-being.
Although problems like sciatic pain can be solved by improving sitting posture. This is why we are discussing “are kneeling chairs good for sciatica?”
Many people have used these types of chairs for a variety of reasons, including their comfort and ease of use. These chairs are usually designed to sit at a lower height, and reduce pressure on the hips.
Kneeling chairs have been around for years for active posture. They are used because they give extra support to people who have back problems.
What is Sciatica?
Sciatica is a condition where there is a pain in the back and/or leg due to inflammation of the sciatic nerve. When the nerve gets irritated, it can cause pain to spread throughout the back and legs.
Its symptoms include leg pain that travels down the back of the thigh, sometimes to the buttock and lower back. There may be numbness, pressure, and tingling in the feet and toes.
it is believed that there are three types of sciatica:
- and segmental.
People who sit for extended periods, especially those who stand up from a seated position, are at greater risk of developing this condition than others
In severe cases, patients may experience loss of muscle function and weakness in the affected leg.
History and Types of Kneeling Chairs
Hans Christian Mengshoel, an inventor from Denmark, first came up with the idea for a kneeling chair in 1979. They are now known as the Balan chairs. Later three Norwegian designers redesigned these chairs.
They can be a good option for people who have back problems and are looking for an alternative to standard chairs.
They are also an excellent choice for people who have arthritis or other physical disabilities that make sitting in a standard chair uncomfortably.
Balance Kneeling Chairs for sciatica
These are ideal for people with balance problems as they provide extra support for your legs. They allow you to sit in a more natural position and they are easier on your back.
Balance chairs have a wide seat and a low back which allows your legs to rest comfortably.
X-Frame Kneeling Chair
You can choose between two styles of X-frame chairs; one style has a tall back and the other has a lower back.
The low-back chair allows for a more relaxed sitting position. It is easy to get up and down from and provides maximum support while sitting.
Are Ergonomic Kneeling Chairs Worth It?
According to a study, ergonomic kneeling chairs provide a standing lumbar curvature when set at a 20 degrees angle of active sitting. This preserves the natural curve of your spine thus helping with back pain management.
Yes, kneeling chairs or stools are worth your money because:
- The right kneeling chair can be a great addition to any office or home. You need to choose one that can offer good comfort, durability, safety, and health benefits.
- This stool fits any office space. It allows you to work at your desk without putting strain on your back.
- It can be used by both adults and children. They can be used for a variety of different purposes, including reading, writing, studying, and even eating.
- The kneeling stool can be used in a variety of different ways, including sitting on it while working, standing on it while working, or even using it as a table.
Are Kneeling Chairs Good For Sciatica and Lower Back
Lordosis is better maintained, relative to the standing posture, when sitting on a kneeling chair than on a usual flat chair.
A study suggests that the use of kneeling chairs can be beneficial for maintaining lumbar lordosis when sitting compared to regular flat seating.
There are several benefits to kneeling:
- It can help improve your posture because it forces you to sit up straight and keep your spine in an upright position.
- Kneeling can also help prevent back pain because it forces you to sit up straight.
- Kneeling can also help reduce stress and tension in your body.
How Do the Kneeling Chairs Work?
The first thing you need to understand is that a kneeling chair is not the same as a kneeling mat. The difference is that a kneeling chair is made from hardwood and has a seat, back, and arms, whereas a kneeling mat simply has a soft surface on which you kneel.
It works in the following ways:
Relaxes the Back and Hamstring
The chair has been created to improve posture, and allow your lower back and hamstrings to relax. This is the ideal position for working with your legs dropped to an angle of about 60° to 70° from vertical.
Stretches the Abdomen and Spine
A kneeling chair lets you relieve stress from your back by stretching the spine, lifting the spine out of the pelvis, and letting the torso drop to the floor, providing support to the abdomen.
Maintains an S-shape Curvature
A kneeling chair preserves your neutral spine. It places your knees and hips into an S shape that feels natural and will relieve hip pain instantly.
These chairs tilt the seat forward and shift your weight forward and move your weight into your legs and buttocks instead of solely your buttocks.
This gives you a more upright position and avoids that concave C shape in your back.
Benefits of Kneeling Chairs for Sciatica
You can sit on this chair and gives you the following benefits:
- A knee rest for sciatic pain relieves pressure on the spine, hips, and knees and helps the body stabilize.
- The longer we are sedentary, the more risk we have for overuse injuries.
- Anyone using a kneeling chair will quickly find that it is easy to get up from their chair without having to place too much stress on their back.
- These chairs are very helpful for people who suffer from arthritis, high blood pressure, or other ailments that cause lower leg pain.
- They are comfortable because they have a footrest. They are easy to use and adjustable.
Drawbacks of Kneeling Chairs for Sciatica
1. Kneeling can be uncomfortable for you if you’re practicing it for the first time. Because it completely changes the positioning of the hips, lower back, and knees while sitting.
2. They can put your knees under added pressure. It happens when you choose a chair of the wrong height. This can be a problem for patients with arthritis or osteoporosis.
3. Your feet might swell due to the angle of sitting. But with a proper backrest, you can keep changing your position to avoid edema and numbness.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which kneeling chair for sciatica is the best?
Use a chair with a backrest for complete lumbar support.
2. How long should I sit in a kneeling chair?
You must sit for one hour at the most. It is recommended to take frequent breaks. Although there is no time for seating, you can decide depending on your health and lifestyle.
3. How often do I change positions in a kneeling chair?
You should reposition yourself as often as you can. This will help to keep the spine straight and avoid back pain.
4. How do I maintain my kneeling chair?
Clean the chair and tighten any loose screws. Also, avoid drinking and eating near these chairs or keep a trash can nearby.
5. What’s the best way to get out of a kneeling chair?
Get up and stretch your legs. This will prevent any injury due to overuse.
So are kneeling chairs good for sciatica?
Yes, kneeling chairs are great for those who suffer from sciatica.
Kneeling allows your spine to stretch. This helps to loosen tight muscles and reduce pain. It also helps to improve circulation and prevent further problems from occurring.
While the benefits of a kneeling chair can help those suffering from sciatica, you need to know that not everyone has the same reaction.
Some feel that sitting in a regular chair will do the trick. But, other individuals prefer a standing chair because it’s better for them to maintain mobility.
It is important to keep in mind that if you are looking to ease your symptoms, you need to find the type of chair that you prefer.