It’s natural to be concerned about the looks of your floor and sometimes we might go crazy! If you’re the Khloe Kardashian of your home, you might be obsessed with the sharp furniture legs being dragged across brand-new tiles. But don’t worry, we will discuss how to protect vinyl floor from chair legs using all the methods available.
Vinyl flooring is the most popular type of material in the United States. It’s been installed in more homes than any other type of flooring. There are many benefits of using it like:
- it’s easy to install
- looks great
- and lasts for years
Interesting fact: According to Statista, in 2020 the vinyl flooring industry climbed to 1.15 billion US dollars.
Despite the longevity of vinyl plank flooring, it is prone to scratches and damage caused by the chair legs. But there are DIY ways to save and preserve the looks of your floor.
The Benefits of Vinyl Flooring
Vinyl is a synthetic material, chemically polyvinyl chloride. It is low-priced compared to linoleum. Although, there are environmental hazards related to the manufacture and disposal of vinyl. But it has become popular since the 1960s as an alternative to its expensive counterpart, the linoleum. Vinyl planks last up to 20 years!
When to Put Chairs on Vinyl Plank Flooring?
Wait a day after putting the planks on the concrete floor before you put any furniture on it. This applies to click-lock planks or the ones that need to be glued. The freshly placed planks might not have stuck to the subfloor, and you might displace them by placing heavy chairs.
What are the Best Chair Leg Floor Protectors
The chair legs are made of steel, plastic, wood, or other materials. They produce friction when dragged across the floor. Therefore, you should find ways to move and use your chair without destroying the vinyl flooring.
Pads and Gliders
Furniture pads and gliders are an excellent way to protect the floor from scratches and other damage, as well as provide a comfortable surface for furniture legs.
Furniture pads and gliders are available in many different designs and colors to suit any home decor. Many of these products are also made from materials that are safe for children and pets, including Eco-Friendly matting.
Always choose the appropriate kind of padding. If you are working with a thick hardwood or metal chair, then it is best to go with a thicker pad. If you have carpeting beneath your table, then you don’t need it.
Felt Pads to protect the vinyl floor
These felt pads are a great way to protect your floor from scratches and scuffs. They can be used on any surface, including vinyl, hardwood, linoleum, carpet, or tile.
You can use carpet pads (often made of felt or other fabric) to cover the bottoms of your furniture bases. These are typically used to protect carpets from damage by furniture bases, and help prevent stains from appearing on the vinyl flooring.
Felt Glides for chair legs
You can attach these pads to the bottom of your chair or table legs, but be sure to position them, so they’re not in the path of furniture movement.
If you have furniture, that’s heavy or large, or if you need to move the furniture while keeping it stable, then a furniture glider will come in handy.
These felt glides fit perfectly onto the chair legs and will stop your floors from getting scratched or scuffed. They will give your floor an elegant, polished appearance while providing it with a layer of protection against scratches.
Protect Vinyl Floor from Chair Legs
These are a few effective methods of protecting the floor from furniture and other damaging factors:
- Floor finishes or sealers are excellent options for protecting the floor. They’ve added layers of chemicals and act just like furniture varnish. It adds the endurance of the vinyl planks for excessive use.
- Take those dirty shoes off before entering the room. The dirt, sand, and little pebbles stuck in the soles can produce nicks on the vinyl floor.
- Use a mild cleaning solution to wipe clean the vinyl floor. If it is dirty, use a cleaner that contains a degreaser. Try using a damp mop and a soft brush. You can also use a damp microfiber cloth.
- Keep your vinyl floor dry. Although it is water resistant but excessive cleaning might cause fractures in its structure.
- Cover it with a rug or a mat. But rubber and plastic mats are not ideal. You should use a natural fiber woven rug or carpet to keep the vinyl from damage.
- Do not drag hefty chairs and tables on the vinyl flooring. Try to lift the furniture and move it, if necessary.
- Avoid vacuum cleaners with brushes to prevent scuffing on the flooring.
- Sun, wind, moisture, rain, and dust are important factors to consider when using PVC for covering the subfloor. Prevent exposure to these elements and enjoy long-lasting flooring.
Does Furniture Dent/Damage the Vinyl Floor
Living room furniture varies from chairs to dressers, beds, tables, kitchen cabinets, closets, TV stands, and sofas of different sizes and shapes. That’s why they might dent the vinyl floor. So, how can you avoid this?
- First, make sure the furniture is made from good materials. For example, wood furniture is not the best material for vinyl floors. Wood furniture can scratch the vinyl floor.
- If the furniture is placed too close to a wall, it can damage the vinyl floor.
- Finally, be careful when you move furniture. Don’t drop heavy items on the floor and try not to bump into the furniture.
What Not to Do with Vinyl Plank Flooring
While using this sleek material, get rid of 2 things: brooms and strong detergent cleaners!
Besides the chair legs, a common mistake that you can make is using a hard whisk broom for cleaning the vinyl flooring. This is one of the worst ways to treat it.
To maintain it for years, you should never wipe it with harsh chemicals. Use pH-neutral cleaning solutions. They can dissolve the PVC layer and make it prone to wear and tear as you walk on it.
Although it’s impossible to avoid spills. Also, clean food stains instantly from your hard-earned floor.
Types of Vinyl Flooring
The most common types of vinyl flooring for homes are vinyl tiles, vinyl planks, and vinyl sheeting.
Vinyl tiles are usually installed on top of a subfloor. They are easy to install and can be used in many different areas.
Vinyl planks are made of vinyl sheets that are glued together. They are usually installed on top of a concrete subfloor and are best for areas where you need to protect the floor from foot traffic.
Vinyl sheeting is similar to the plank in that it is made of vinyl sheets that are glued together. However, it is often used in areas where foot traffic is high and where the floor needs to be waterproof.
How Much do the Vinyl Floors Cost
It can cost on average 2000 US dollars for the complete coverage of your home. Yet vinyl is affordable compared to hardwood, tiles, and linoleum. The cost-effective nature of this construction material is also durable.
Now you know! It’s easier to protect the vinyl floor from chair legs than you thought. To sum up, it’s always better to prevent a problem from happening than to deal with it after it has occurred.
To protect vinyl floors from chair legs, avoid furniture with sharp edges. Use protective pads made of felt, plastic, or glass. Keep the floor clean but don’t use corrosive chemicals.
1. How do you stop chair legs from scratching the floor?
Put a natural woven mat underneath the chair so that the chair does not scrap vinyl flooring.
2. Do you need furniture pads for vinyl plank flooring?
Yes, if you are laying vinyl planks on wood or concrete floors. Furniture pads help to protect the vinyl from scuffing.
3. How do I stop my kitchen chairs from scratching the vinyl?
You will need to apply a protective coating. And clean spills instantly.
4. Will an office chair damage the flooring?
Use felt pads and gliders on the legs and wheels of the office chairs to avoid damage to the vinyl plank flooring.